Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Wynnie's Heavenly Anniversary

Christopher Wynn Johnson 
Oct. 27, 2008- Dec. 2, 2014

Today we celebrate Wynnie's life by honoring today's special significance.  A year ago today around 11pm Wynnie bravely earned his angel wings.  There's so much I remember of that day.

I remember waking up with a weird feeling about him so I had his nurse take a back seat all day and assist me from the background while I intentionally held him all day long.

I remember showing him pictures of "Heaven is For Real" Jesus and showing him pictures of my parents throughout the day (yes I still think the Heaven is for Real Jesus painting looks exactly like Kenny Loggins circa 1980).  I wanted Wynnie to know their faces really well so that he'd recognize them as soon as he entered his new home whenever that would be.

I remember Chris having a serious talk with Ben and Alex about how when they wake up Wynnie may possibly no longer be with us.  So that afternoon they loved on him, talked to him and gave him many kisses.  I remember Ben gave his Froggy to Wynnie to keep him company and take care of Wynnie.

I remember Marcia being here with us all afternoon and evening and helping us stay calm and love on Wynnie; and feeling so thankful for her being in our lives.

I remember texting jokes to friends all day to keep myself distracted with funny stuff instead of crying because why would Wynnie want to be with someone who was a sourpuss all day? A happy mom is way more fun.

I remember Luna snuggling next to Wynnie very protectively while he napped in the family room.

I remember feeling so immensely blessed to have had Melinda, Wynnie's hospice nurse, come to our home within minutes of his passing to help us do everything that needed to be done for us so that we could focus on Wynnie instead of all the administrative stuff.

When Wynnie passed I remember never feeling as close to Chris as ever.  I had never seen him as emotional as I did that evening.  I remember Chris took time to pick out Wynnie's final cute outfit after we bathed him and made him look handsome as ever one last time.  I remember how sad we felt when the funeral home came to take Wynnie away.

Once they took him away I remember feeling so weird and empty and neither of us was sleepy so we both made ourselves a stiff drink and watched ESPN for a long time until we got sleepy.

Even though I remember every little detail down to what I was wearing that day (I've never worn that shirt since), what I remember most is the beautiful life and spirit that God entrusted us to enjoy for six wonderful years.  So as I write this, this is the only time I'll boo hoo and cry today because for the rest of the day I will focus to celebrate Wynnie's life.  Chris and I will have a stiff drink at dinner tonight and we'll reminisce about all the great things that made Wynnie such an earth angel.

I hope people remember how he was way before he started to get really sick and i-cell started to take a toll on him.  He was funny!  He was loud!  He babbled and moved around the house more than Dori did back in his prime.  He made the funniest noises with his mouth!  Sometimes he sounded like a cat!  I was obsessed his pooping... it was a like a side show! He was the only Johnson son that would let anyone snuggle him for hours and wouldn't wiggle his way out, he would just let you love on him as much as you needed to.

He. Was. Awesome.

We miss you little prince!  Keep watching over us and keep having a blast in heaven.  We can't wait to see you again someday!  

No comments:

Post a Comment