Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Slow but steady wins the race

Wynnie continues to make tiny improvements each day and continues to amaze us with his determination and strength. He gave me the greatest gift yesterday morning while I was rubbing the palm of his hand-- he flashed me a big smile. I was so excited that I wanted to scream but I contained myself and just smiled right back. We haven't seen his smile in over two weeks so it was such a blessing to see a glimpse of the old Wynnie back!

He continues to get slowly weened off the settings of his vent. After so much time on the vent, breathing on his own will take alot of strength that he has lost over the past couple of weeks. So the doctors are being very cautious on the timing of all this weening because anything done too quickly would result in his lungs collapsing all over again. It's been a test of patience, faith and family management but we're finally able to see a dim light at the end of the tunnel. By continuing at the pace he is going, they are aiming to take out the tube/vent by the end of this week and immediately place him on a bipap mask to help him breathe. A mask is much less invasive and a big step for Wynnie so we are cheering him on every step of the way.

Dori keeps hollering out for Wynnie wondering where he is. He misses his little buddy. But he is very happy and at peace with being home and getting back to school and his normal routine this week. I already made a hole in the wall with Dori's power chair trying to move it. Apparently I'm a horrible navigator. I'm sure we'll have many more holes made but I'll just blame dori for it and nobody will catch on ... Ha ha ha!!!

Ben and Alex have become really good at praying and Ben is the one who likes to initiate it. We may have a couple of future deacons on our hands. Every Sunday night they have been excited to watch The History Channel's "The Bible" so between praying for Wynnie, watching The Bible and our activities at church for Holy Week--- we have alot of strong faith running through the house. These past two weeks I feel like we've grown closer as a family and I'm very thankful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment